Bashir Mahmoud: The refugee in US turned tycoon murdered in Kenya

Bashir Mahmoud
Bashir Mahmoud. [Photo: courtesy]

The family of slain American-Somali businessman Bashir Mahmoud residing in the US has asked the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) to conduct independent investigations.

His brother Osman Omar who resides in the US said that they are confident the US authorities will also help in the case.

Speaking to K24, he said that they have conducted several meetings with US investigative agencies.

“We have been conducting meetings here in the US and we are looking forward to kick off a journey that will see us get justice. It’s time the American authority is involved in the investigations,” Omar said.

Omar said they have studied reports from investigations conducted by the Kenyan police but there are glaring gaps.

Somali community in the US led by Osman and Dr Ahmed Ali who is the executive director of Somali Health Board now say that they will not rest until justice is found.

Bashir moved to the US as a refugee in 2001. He later moved to Seattle after seven years after attaining his undergraduate in Biomedical Engineering.

He studied at Wright State University in Ohio.

In 2010, he started his new job with Boeing and later pursued his master’s in Engineering and Technology Management from Washington State University.

Bashir attained American citizenship this same year.

He then returned to Somalia in 2014 where he established his construction company and later opened a new branch in Kenya.

Infinity Developers then bagged numerous government contracts in Somalia and Kenya. Bashir who ran the firm also bagged major contracts with international aid agencies.

He went missing on May 13, 2021. He was last seen leaving Mialle Lounge in Lavington.

The father of two was captured by CCTV cameras a few meters from the lounge being kidnapped as he tried to make a phone call.

More than a week later, his body was found at River Nyamidi in Kirinyaga County with deep cuts on the head.

It was taken to Kerugoya Level Five Hospital and later to Umash Funeral Home where Chief Government Pathologist Dr Johansen Oduor conducted an autopsy.

Dr Oduor said the late Bashir died from strangulation and was also tortured.