Bashir Mahmoud tried calling wife before his death, probe indicates

Bashir Mahmoud. [Photo: Courtesy]

A day after an autopsy on the body of Bashir Mahmoud was conducted, fresh details have emerged on the events before his death.

DCI detectives who combed through CCTV footage from the hotel and adjoining neighbourhood of Mialle Lounge in Lavington, the Somali-American citizen was pounced on a few minutes after leaving the lounge.

His path was blocked causing a traffic snarl-up. There was a commotion as his black Range Rover which was on the left lane was blocked.

Curios onlookers can be seen looking staring at the commotion.
Bashir was seen on phone, now emerging that he tried to reach his wife but was interrupted by his kidnappers.

His phone went off immediately after the commotion where he was captured struggling with some people outside his vehicle while on a call.

Bashir’s wife according to their family lawyer Alibay Hassan had just delivered eight days before his May 13 disappearance.

He resided in Ohio, US where he had married his first wife but they later got divorced and he returned to Kenya where he had been living for three years.

The 36-year-old structural engineer turned contractor would travel to the US for short stays and came back to Kenya to his wife and children.

After his disappearance, it emerged that he was being investigated for alleged terror financing.

Bashir is also said to have been involved in the political instability currently facing Somalia.

An autopsy report by Chief Government Pathologist Dr Johansen Oduor indicated that he died from strangulation.

His body had visible torture marks and a deep cut on his head. His finger and toenails painted a picture of the painful torture he went through before his body was dumped in River Nyamindi, Mwea.

Bashir’s body was spotted by residents who informed the police. It was taken to Kerugoya Level Five Hospital mortuary.

It was transported to Umash Funeral Home on Sunday midnight for an autopsy before his burial Monday evening.

His family says it will pursue justice and have asked America’s Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to follow up on the matter.