Mombasa is now an active COVID-19 hotspot, Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe has said.
Of the 15 confirmed cases on Friday, 11 of them were from Mombasa which has over the week recorded high cases of coronavirus.
Another case was reported in Wajir County just a day after one more person tested positive for the same.
The 15 cases now place the total number of coronavirus cases at 411.
Of the 15, eight are female and seven are male.
Six more people were discharged. The total number of those who have recovered is 150.
Kagwe said that special focus has been turned to Dagoretti North Constituency where Kawangware falls in.
Just like Mombasa, Kawangare is also one of the hotspots in Nairobi with 13 cases already confirmed.
Health CS said that government surveillance personnel is on the ground in the area to conduct contact-tracing.
Earlier in the week, Health CAS Dr Mercy Mwangangi raised concern with the goings-on in Kawangware. She said that she has visited the area and realized that most of the laid down regulations are not being followed which places the area in peril of rapid COVID-10 spread.
This is as Kenya made a bold move to procure hydroxychloroquine from India, an antimalarial drug that has been banned in the country.
Kenyan hopes to repurpose the drug for emergency use against COVID-19 through a single consignment of 379,000 tablets of the hydroxychloroquine three weeks after the Indian government lifted a ban on the export of this drug.
Kenya’s Foreign Affairs CS Raychelle Omamo and Indian External Affairs minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar had a long discussion about this.
Three weeks ago, India lifted the ban on the export of the drug.
“In keeping with excellent bilateral ties and as a special gesture, India has allowed one-time export of prohibited Hydroxychloroquine Sulphate USP 200 mg (379,000 tablets) to Kenya to support Government of Kenya in its fight against Covid-19 pandemic,” said a communique from the Indian government.