Family of British man killed in Diani yet to get closure nine years later

Alexander Monson
Alexander Monson. [Photo: Times UK]

More than the eight years after the death of their kin, Alexander Monson in Diani, his family is still pursuing justice.

Alexander was an Aristocrat. He was apprehended in May 2012 and whisked away by police officers before he was pronounced dead.

The then 28-year-old British national was playing pool in the company of friends when police stormed a popular beach resort and took him away to Diani Police Station, a report by Haki Africa stated.

He was allegedly arrested on account of smoking and being in possession of marijuana.

The report added that Alexander was in a coma the following morning and died in the afternoon handcuffed to a hospital bed.

An autopsy conducted indicated that he died of blunt force trauma to his head. It discounted claims by police that Alexander died as a result of a drug overdose.

A recent narration by his father Lord Nicholas Monson to Daily Mail indicated that the pathologist found extensive injury in the deceased’s scrotum and defence injures on his arm on top of being hit massively behind the head.

Following Alexander’s death, four police officers were arrested and charged with his murder at the Mombasa Law Courts where the case has been dragging since 2019 when the officer were apprehended.

The four police officers are Naftali Chege, Charles Wangombe Munyiri, Baraka Bulima and John Pamba.

The deceased’s father says that justice has taken too long for the killers of his son.

“I am exasperated by these endless delays but the fight for justice for Alexander will continue,” he stated.

Lord Nicholas said it is saddening that people accused his son of doing drugs and dying of an overdose yet autopsy reports showed no drug elements in his body.

An inquest in 2015 showed that Alexander did not die of natural causes.

Alexander’s mother, Hilary Monson still lives in Kenya with a lot of pain in her heart. She has not found closure since her son’s death.

She is upbeat that those who killed her son will be convicted.