Former minister Julius Sunkuli seeks answers after son’s mysterious death

Augustine Salaton Suke, son to former minister Julius Sunkuli. [courtesy]

Former Internal Security minister Julius Sunkuli wants police to investigate thoroughly what led to the death of his son Augustine Salaton, said to have died under unclear circumstances.

Sunkuli, a former Internal Minister cast doubt on police reports that Salaton died in a road accident.

His brother, Charles Sunkuli, who is the Environment Principal Secretary, also termed the police report on his nephew’s death as false.

Sunkuli told Daily Nation that they found his son’s body at the Kisii Referral Hospital on Saturday. The body had been lying at the mortuary for 9 days.

He said it was taken there by police officers who said they collected it from a lorry parking lot in Kilgoris, Narok County.

Last Sunkuli, a former Chinese ambassador had seen of his 29-year-old first born son, was on May 7 at Poroko when he left for Nairobi.

Salaton worked as a Chinese interpreter. He was the son of Sunkuli’s first wife Janet Morentat.

“Every morning, he used to visit his grandmother who lives nearby. But the grandmother got concerned when he failed to show up on May 8,” he said according to Daily Nation.

Sunkuli’s other wife, Lucy, reported the matter to Police at Kilgoris Police Station. It is then that last Friday, he was informed of two bodies collected at Kilgoris and were taken to Kisii mortuary.

Trans Mara West police boss David Wambua said the police opted to take the bodies to Kisii Referral Hospital mortuary because in Kilgoris mortuary has no freezers.

The body according to the police boss had injuries on the head and lower abdomen which police suspect may have been as a result of an accident.

“There were skid marks of a lorry at the scene. This indicates that the victim may have been knocked by the vehicle,” said Wambua.

But, Sunkuli’s family suspect this could have been murder.

“Besides the injuries, my son’s body appeared to have been burnt with acid. He seems to have struggled a lot in his death, which is evident in the injuries on his head and fingers,” said Sunkuli.

“Our questions are more than answers. A postmortem will be done on Tuesday (today) or Wednesday and we will know what for sure caused his death.”

The family has asked the Directorate of Criminal Investigation to probe the Salaton’s death.