The number of COVID-19 cases continues to increase sharply as the government embarks on rapid testing.
A total of 147 cases were confirmed on Thursday by Health CS Mutahi Kagwe bringing the total caseload to 1,618.
Kagwe who was at Tigoni Hospital in Kiambu County said that 2,831 samples were tested in the last 24 hours bringing the total number of cases tested so far to 70,172.
The youngest patient is one-year-old while the oldest is 87.
In Nairobi, the majority of the cases are in Kibera where 35 cases were confirmed.
Kagwe added that although the number of patents is increasing exponentially, 13 more people have been discharged after making full recovery.
He termed this as “good news”.
However, three more people have died.
On a sad note, three more people died bringing the total number of deaths to 58.
Kagwe visited Tigoni Hospital’s newly-built COVID-19 centre.
Kiambu Governor Dr James Nyoro said that the new unit will help in dealing with coronavirus cases that are reported from Kiambu.
Over the past week, more than 10 cases have been reported from Kikuyu, Lari, Limuru, Kabete, Ruiru, Thika and Githunguri areas of Kiambu.
Nyoro noted that in mass testing that has kicked off in some areas, 509 people have been tested and of these, 39 tested positive.
Following this, the government has since closed Soko Mjinga open-air market after several people tested positive.