Nairobi Hospital has decried a surge in the number of coronavirus cases in what has left no room for admission of a patient with COVID-19 to its isolation centre.
The hospital in a statement on Tuesday said it has so far admitted 162 coronavirus patients, 22 of whom are in dire need of medical services in the intensive care unit (ICU).
The hospital’s CEO Allan Pamba stated that “Over this past weekend, the management faced a big challenge to stretch the hospital’s capacity to accommodate a sudden rise in cases presenting at the accident and Emergency department with suspected Covid-19,” he said.
The CEO exuded hope in partnering with the UN to establish a facility to hold more patients in the next one or two months noting that the hospital has increased its admission capacity from 35 percent in April to 63 percent in July.
“With this rising challenge, we are hopeful that the hospital board will support the next phase of the TNH-UN Covid-19 care partnership. This will give us a 150-bed state of the art Coronavirus hospital at the old nursing school,” he said.
He projects that the new facility will feature a 25-bed ICU centre with “ECMO capacity and its own operating theater”
Pamba raised the concern as Kenya recorded 278 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday. The total recorded cases are now 8, 528.
Health CS Mutahi Kagwe while speaking in Makueni County said they tested 3,053 samples bringing cumulative samples tested to 196,508.
Twenty-nine patients were discharged bringing the total recoveries to 2,593.
Sadly, two more people died bringing the coronavirus death toll in Kenya to 169.