Kenyans need to take up personal responsibility seriously if the fight against the spread of coronavirus is to be realized.
So far, 50 people have tested positive. Eight more cases were reported on Monday, a day after the Ministry of Health led by Mr Mutahi Kagwe announced that four more people had tested positive putting the number at 42 as of Sunday evening.
In his presser, the Health CS said the new cases were brought about by social interactions between the 42 already diagnosed and the community calling on Kenyans to be responsible.
“The eight cases are spread out in Kitui (1), Nairobi (6) and Mombasa (1)…This means the virus is now being spread through community transmission and it calls for more personal responsibility,” urged Mr Kagwe.
The CS pointed out that boda boda operators are at risk of contracting the virus and spreading it unknowingly.
Therefore, the ministry issued a new directive requiring all boda boda operators to ferry just one passenger and always wear a mask at all times.
He also cautioned Kenyans in the city against making visits upcountry saying this poses a huge risk to older persons going by studies carried out by the Italian national institute of health.
For example, cites Citizen Digital, 1,307 senior citizens in various Spanish nursing homes have died of coronavirus.
This is also as the Director-General in the Ministry of Health Dr Patrick Amoth warned that there could be about 10, 000 coronavirus cases in Kenya by end of April.
“We postulate that we could have 1000 cases by first week of April, 5000 by mid-April and 10,000 by end of April,” he said.
Nonetheless, the government continues to carry out tests. A dusk to dawn curfew has also been imposed.