Kenya’s coronavirus cases have risen to 234 after nine more people tested positive in the last nine years in a new call by President Uhuru Kenyatta asking Kenyans to be more careful.
Uhuru who addressed the nation on Thursday afternoon at State House said that a total of 704 samples were tested.
Sadly, one more person died from the disease putting the death toll at 11 so far.
One more person was discharged bringing the total of discharged patients to 54. Recoveries are still at 53 as announced by Health CS Mutahi Kagwe on Wednesday on his daily brief.
A further 1,000 people are in quarantine while 156 are in isolation.
President Uhuru urged Kenyans to be cautious citing that COVID-19 is “not a respecter of age or race”.
“We love and respect our elderly… our grandmother and grandfathers. They are so vulnerable to this disease, so it’s important that each does the right thing by doing as our medical experts advise,” he said.
He also directed the Health and Public Service ministries to come up with a welfare package for health workers handling coronavirus patients while Education ministry is tasked with creating a model that will shield student from the effects of the novel coronavirus.
Further, counties will get a three-month waiver from the Kenya Medical Supplies Agency (KEMSA) for the supply of protective gear manufactured locally. The elderly and the needy will also benefit from the government’s cash transfer. Ksh5 billion has been released for disbursement.
Uhuru thanked Kenyan corporates for contributing towards COVID-19 Emergency Fund saying it has so far collected Ksh1 billion.
In other news, a Rome-based Catholic priest who failed to self-quarantine upon returning from Italy was charged before a Milimani court and released on Ksh150,000 cash bail.
Father Richard Oduor was also ordered to self-quarantine for a further 14 days against the wish of his legal team.