We begged villagers for money to save our son, Dr Mogusu’s parents narrate

Dr Mogusu
Dr Stephen Mogusu. [Photo: courtesy]

The family of the deceased doctor who succumbed to COVID-19, Dr Stephen Mogusu has narrated the pain they went through for three weeks when he was hospitalized.

Dr Mogusu, only 28, had just started his family but when he contracted COVID-19, things changed and a story of pain and hopelessness began for his family.

His father Naftal Ongweno said that when his son’s condition worsened, he requested to be taken to Kenyatta University Referral Hospital from Komarock Hospital where he had been admitted.

However, he was asked to deposit Ksh200,000 for him to get ventilator support at the Kenyatta University Teaching and Referral Hospital.

With no money, his father said that he moved around in his Iranda village, Kisii County asking for money door to door in order to help his son.

“From the moment he was admitted to hospital after contracting coronavirus while working with infected patients, we had to pay all the bills,” Mr ongweno told the Standard.

Weeks before his condition deteriorated, his family says Mogusu always called them and would say he will get better.

However, when he developed breathing problems, he asked for a photo of his four-month-old baby.

Dr Mogusu’s mother Agnes Moraa narrated that his son’s education was a streak of luck as they did not have money to fund his education right from the day he was admitted to Lenana School.

She recalled that they only had Ksh5,000 but they travelled to Nairobi where a good Samaritan helped them.

After sitting for his KCSE, the deceased scored a straight A (85 points) and was admitted at the University of Nairobi.

“He always wanted to be a doctor. That is what he always talked about,” said Moraa.

He was them posted to the Machakos Level Five Hospital upon completion of his training but his was a sad story of no pay for five months.

In an interview he did with a local daily on December 1, he spoke of frustration in his job saying that he feels bad that he cannot afford to buy diapers for his new-born child yet he was working daily.

The Kenya Medical Practitioners, Pharmacists and Dentists Union (KMPDU) said he had not been paid for five months.

“At the time of his death, he had not received his salary for five months, had no insurance, and his young family left with no compensation,” stated KMPDU.

While in hospital, Dr Mogusu had sent message to his colleagues urging them to agitate for pay and better working conditions.

His death touched off a storm as Kenyans accused the government of neglecting doctors who are the first line of defence for Kenyans ailing from COVID-19.